Letter of Application
_________________________________________
Letter of Application
The
Experience is the foundation of any skill set and luckily I have tutored in two different scenarios. In high school I provided trumpet lessons to a wide variety of ages which would require different approaches in order to connect with them. I would often teach younger students some of their favorite pop songs in order to get them excited about their instrument because I found that the more enthusiastic they are about playing, the more likely they are going to improve and play more frequently. For older students I had to explain how to articulate notes clearly and sonorously without using visual models. While a guitarist can stretch his fingers across the neck of his instrument as a demonstration, a trumpet tutor must explain how to position the tongue and vibrate the lips in order to produce a desired sound. Overcoming these communication barriers were essential to becoming an effective teacher and after several years I was able to refine my approaches.
My other tutoring experiences occur on World of Pwnage, a website dedicated to helping others become better competitive gamers. While it sounds like a joke, we’ve successfully sold over two hundred copies of our guide at $24.95 a piece and provide private lessons to our customers. It is difficult trying to explain techniques and strategies to a person who is not next to you, but luckily many of our customers leave extremely satisfied with the lesson. These experiences have developed my communication skills and shaped my perception on the role of a tutor. A tutor is a mentor, helpful, and more importantly an empathetic person who strives to reach their students in meaningful ways. The skills I developed as a tutor make communicating ideas and helping others in life easier.
When looking at some of the writing I have done over the years, some noticeable strengths and weaknesses are present. I tend to be great at critical thinking, analysis, and thesis development. I also enjoy planning and organizing the structure of my argument, a strength which has helped my ability to create flowing arguments which are understandable. While these strengths have greatly helped my writing, I have several weaknesses which tend to detract from the effectiveness of my arguments. Grammar and punctuation are my kryptonite and I tend to be wordy in my papers, which is why editing and proof reading them has been essential to my success as a writer.
My sense of humor, ability to connect with people and communicate ideas makes me feel confident about working with peers in a one on one situation. The satisfaction gained by reaching a person in such a way that not only helps them with their current project but also any future challenges is indescribable. The
I think youll get the position. One from this paper, because more than likely other people applying to this position will not put as much effort into their written responses because they view it as a school position that is not important. As far as corrections, i would agree with Matt that you say which too much. AS for the
"In the position my communication skills and writing techniques would evolve which, alongside helping other people is one of my personal goals."
I would change it to:
"In the position my communication skills and writing techniques would evolve, which alongside helping other people, is one of my personal goals."
As far as the world of Pwnage, i wouldnt say it was a joke, mostly because its a serious site that helps people and has an actual written guide that people can use. 1) Dont call it a joke like matt said. 2) I suggest at least changing the title of the site/generalize it because they are not going to know what it is connected with and also they are not going to have any idea what pwnage is. By putting Pwnage you kinda downplay your ability to write by showing that you might often go into internet speech and might not take you as seriously. Also if you want to keep the name, put it in "". That way they know it isnt necessarily suppose to be a real word lol.
I know you're a good writer and i wonder who they have to look at the applications, because if it is writing professors you might just be having it read by a teacher you know. Which is a good thing for you i think, because those teachers would know your talent.
I think its well written, do you have to send a resume too? or like a piece of writing that you have done?
Good Luck, you should get it, and if you dont they are nuts
Posted by
J.Q. |
5:50 AM
Thanks for the comments guys - appreciate it.
Yeah, i gotta submit...
1. resume
2. letter of application
3. 5-7 page writing sample with a brief paragraph explaining why I chose it.
Posted by
Admin |
8:08 AM
oh yeah - i forgot to mention.
now you guys can see how much editing i do in order to make things not suck lol
i hate this kind of writing though, feels too professional.
Posted by
Admin |
8:21 AM
You did fine, u didnt have alot to correct really tho. SO =P
Posted by
J.Q. |
8:41 AM